Migrating from AngularJS to Angular can be really overwhelming. How on earth do you figure out where to even begin? I have a talk called "Finding the Right Path from AngularJS to Angular" that goes over a decision tree you can use to determine this. The recording is available for free:Click here to access "Finding the Path from AngularJS to Angular."
You can also access the most recent slides for this talk. If you need more help with ngUpgrade, check out Upgrading AngularJS, my comprehensive video course on ngUpgrade. There are over 230 videos to walk you step-by-step through the process.
If your company needs more hands-on help with migration, I offer remote migration consultations. The most popular option is a full day review where we develop a customized action plan for your migration. We look at your build process, the current state of your legacy codebase, and anticipate any barriers you may have.
Upgrading from AngularJS to Angular: The Four Paths
The (roughly) four paths for migrating from AngularJS to Angular are:
- Rewrite/burn everything to the ground, sometimes called a "big bang" approach
- ngUpgrade, a library from the Angular team that lets you run AngularJS and Angular side-by-side
- Hybrid Routing, which involves one frameowrk owning one route. This can be done client side with ngUpgrade or server side.
- Angular Elements, which are web components for Angular. These are like tiny frontends you can stick anywhere, including your legacy AngularJS code.
More AngularJS to Angular Migration Resources
- Shaun Connolly's Gist on unit testing components and services during migration
- XLTS, extended long term support for AngularJS
- Angular Migration Forum & Wiki
- ngMigration Assistant
- Directly Upgrading from AngularJS 1.X to Angular without Preparing the Existing Code Base by Manfred Steyer
- Upgrading With Web Components: From AngularJS To Angular by Manfred Steyer
- NDC London 2020: My talk "Modernizing Large Frontends with Web Components" (slides, video) about migrating using Angular Elements
- Getting Started with Angular Elements (egghead course) by Juri Strumpflohner
- Upgrading Angular Applications: Managing Routers and URL by Victor Savkin
- Using NgUpgrade Like a Pro: Lazy Loading AngularJS Applications by Victor Savkin
- How Capital One is Using Angular Elements to Upgrade from AngularJS to Angular