Note from Present Day Sam: While the things I talked about in this recording in 2017 really were transformative for me, I feel like I didn't do a good job of acknowledging that addressing deep depression needs the guidance of a doctor and often medication. You should know that even at the time of this recording I had seen many doctors and used many medications in my life, so please never interpret my experience as flippantly saying, "lol just exercise and meditate!" I don't take this lightly at all.
In this recording, I talk about the hard-fought lessons I've learned over the years and the practices that have started producing actual results in my mental and physical health. My goal is to save you from some of the years of grinding away I've had to do due to my stubbornness.
One key takeaway: mental or emotional arguments require physical responses.
3 Physical Elements
- Break the neural pattern physically.
- Fully engage in the moment with something hard.
- Take away your free will.
3 Mental Elements
- Mindfulness develops the mind-body connection. Observation is the first step to change. Don't worry about the why, just pay close attention to how you are feeling physiologically.
- Change in self-perception.
- Gratitude and abundance.
Mindfulness, Journaling, & Mindful Eating
- App: Headspace - app with guided meditations.
- Tool: 750Words - write every day.
- Audio: Lectures by Gil Fronsdal - I've been listening to this guy for about a decade.
- Video: Introduction to Mindful Eating by Michelle DuVal
- Video: Food and Addiction:Treating through Emotional Brain Training
- Video: Food and Addiction: Treating through Mindfulness Awareness
- Video: Obesity and the Neural Plasticity Reward Circuit
- Ted Talk: Want to be happy? Be grateful by David Steindl-Rast
- Habit: Moment of Joy. I forgot to mention in the episode, my housemates and I have a daily practice of finding a moment of joy in our days and sharing it at dinner. It's a great way to gradually build the habit of gratitude.
- App: MyFitnessPal - basically free WeightWatchers
- Video: Why fasting bolsters brain power by Mark Mattson
- Video: The Mystery of Fast-5 and D.I.E.T. by Bert Herring, MD
- Article: Intermittent Fasting by Dr. Theodore Naiman - ugly site, great information
- Video: Neuroplasticity
- Video: How Neuroplasticity Could Help with Depression, with Ruby Wax
- Video: Mindfulness, Neuroplasticity